Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Western Canada Part 2--Saltspring




The reason we planned this whole trip was to visit my grandma, who will be turning 90 years old this fall. She lives on Saltspring Island, a little gulf island off the coast of Victoria. My mom, my brother and I used to go out there every summer and I have great memories of the place, but hadn't been in far too long. It was great to be back.



My cousin Tracy, her husband Ed and their son Liam were also visiting which made things all the more exciting. We hadn't seen any of them since our wedding, and it was great to meet little Liam. He was too cute!



Turns out that Saltspring has three wineries. We visited all of them, and were pleasantly surprised by the wines.






Tracy and Ed had us over for dinner at their campsite one night. And there might have been smores another night... Yummy!



We drove out to Beddis Beach one morning when the tide was low so that we could walk around the point to bay where my grandparents used to live.




The tide pool that we used to poke our fingers into when we were kids was still there.

Tracy and I were looking for moonshells, but didn't find any. The scenery was lovely and hadn't changed and it made for a great walk.



To complete the walk down memory lane, we had ice cream at Glad's





And ate fish and chips at the Seaside Kitchen in Vesuvius, while watching the ferry head to Crofton.



But Saltspring isn't just ice cream and fish and chips! There is more to come, but it will have to wait for another post. Stay tuned!

No comments: