Sunday, April 15, 2007

Birthday on the Orient Express

Yesterday was my birthday, and also the day that I had to say goodbye to Katie and Jen and head back to the (other) good life in Paris.

We had quite the train adventure getting from Cesky Krumlov, although most of the excitement was contained on the first train which not only had a broken horn, that blew for the entire two hour trip, but stopped for no apparent reason in the middle of nowhere, and we couldn't get the doors open. Luckily the Czechs are good at fixing broken trains, and about holding trains for you when you're late making your connections, and we arrived in Linz with enough time for Katie and Jen to catch their last train on to Salzburg, and for me to be thoroughly bored for six hours before hopping on my overnight Orient Express train home. No real excitement on the overnight train, aside from its name and the fact that I got free breakfast.

I rolled safely into Gare de l'Est at 10:30 this morning, and Erik was waiting for me, and as always, I was happy to be home. We spent the morning doing some of my favorite Parisian things like shopping at the organic market (which we should do more often), eating crepes and gelato and having lunch at the Marquise. Now Erik's making gigot d'agneau, and we're trying to decide how to best take advantage of the fantastic weather that we have.

That's all I've got for today. There's so much to say about my trip, and lots of photos to organize, so stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time Torie, Happy Birthday by the way... Looking forward to seeing your photos on here. I totally agree with you about Berlin, Prague and that whole area in general, my train broke down on the way to Cesky Krumlov too... how weird!
Lots of Love Hilary. xo