Friday, December 07, 2007

Friday Night Dinner Conversation

Yes, it's your lucky day. It's Friday night, and because I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful husband who does the dishes, you're lucky enough to have not one, but two delightful blog entries tonight.

This one's a question.

Today is Friday. Last Tuesday refers to A) December 4 or B) November 27

If you chose B how would you refer to Tuesday Dec 4? If you chose A how would you refer to Tuesday Nov 27?

For the record, I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose this one, but I'm stubborn enough to still think that I'm right. :)

And another totally unrelated question (this one has to do with school). When saying the date: Tuesday December 5th, or Tuesday December the 5th? I don't think I would ever say the 'the' unless it was 'the 5th of December' but one of my kids insisted that her French English teacher makes them say the 'the'. Is it a British thing, or is it just wrong?

Please leave your answer(s) in the comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob and I have talked about your reference to previous days of the week. We have come to the agreement that the Tuesday of this week would be called past Tuesday, and the Tuesday of last week would be called last Tuesday. Very subtle and something that you say without much thought. I will be interested in the reponses you get.
As for the date, I would say December fifth, although I have heard it called December the fifth. Once again, English is so easily muted, that it could go both ways. Perhaps the British have a more formal way of speaking.

mom/Donna

Anonymous said...

I say December the fifth - that is probably because of my mom and her family. I think both ways are acceptable.

As for the 'last' Tuesday - it is the one that just happened. Clearly. There is no debate here. I am right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong.