Saturday, February 09, 2008

The problem with making cinnamon buns is that we eat the whole pan.

Not really a huge problem as it's not something we do every day, but I do feel slightly more guilt than usual this morning after devouring half a pan of these.

My tips for anyone else brave enough to attempt this multi hour task that has created piles of very sticky and still unwashed dishes.
  • For the dulce de leche: skip the double boiler, and cook the condensed milk directly over the heat, stirring constantly. Much faster.
  • The brioche dough was like no other dough I have ever made. How I wished I had my stand mixer to do this! My cheapo hand mixer was literally smoking while I tried to incorporate the butter. And no kneading? I did knead it a bit (with a ton more flour) after the first rise, because I couldn't figure out how I was going to be able to form the goopy mass that I had into any sort of a bun, and it was fine.
  • I splite the dough in half, and made one batch of rolls with the dulce de leche and the other with cinnamon and brown sugar. Because of the amount of butter in the dough, I didn't add any extra butter when I sprinkled on the sugar and cinnamon (an effort to cut calories? hah!), and the rolls were definitely missing something. I also toyed with the idea of spreading Nutella on the second batch, and for some reason didn't. Next time.
  • I was seriously doubting whether the amount of extra effort required to make the brioche dough would be worth it, and it absolutely was. Brioche comes out flaky and almost croissant like. So good.
Now I think I'll have one last one, and then it's off to the gym! Gotta love Saturdays. :)

1 comment:

Helene said...

Sorry for all the hard work...But it's a good way to get the adrenalin pumping prior to the gym. Nutella would be so good in this brioche!!