Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Countdown is On!!

This will be our last weekend as renters. 

Money has been wired to the notary, certified cheques have been printed, new bank accounts opened, insurance bought and fingers have been crossed, many times.  Everything seems to be in order (knock on wood).  The owner should have moved out yesterday, and is hopefully now spending a delightful weekend cleaning. 

On Tuesday afternoon we will sign the final agreement of sale, and receive our keys.  We will then trek directly over to the new place with a bottle of Champagne and a screwdriver.  While I celebrate with a glass of bubbly, Erik will be anxiously pulling out outlets to get an idea of what to expect for the Great Electrical Adventure that he and Howard are undertaking, where our new apartment will be electrified to meet all and any possible electrical needs for the next 2000 years.  Which might be the cause of our most recent stress:  aesthetics vs. electrical code.  I'll let you guess which side I'm on.  I'm also pretty certain that my side is not going to win.  But hopefully any resistance from my camp will prevent the installation of light switches in the middle of walls. 

Two more days....I've been looking out of our window at the Eiffel Tower a lot lately, and I'm sure going to miss the view!  I'm also going to miss our Monoprix, and the Indian restaurant downstairs.  And the really good Korean place that we found too recently (why hadn't we gone there sooner??).  I'm going to miss being on the sixth floor, and being so close to the metro.  I know that there will be lots of things to love about our new location, but now that we're into our last couple of weeks here, it's hard to imagine living anywhere else. 

No comments: