Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Moving

So.  We're moving.

Every time anyone mentions our upcoming move, I automatically state how much I hate it.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm still excited about the potential 'final' destination, but it's all the stress and boxes and dust and WALLPAPER in between the start and finish that make me just want to curl up and stay forever in my bright yellow furnished apartment.  (Have I mentioned that I will never ever ever in my life willingly wallpaper a wall?  Please remind me of this time if I ever consider putting paper on our walls.  Mom how did you deal with all the wallpaper in our house?  I can remember at least two different patterns in my room...)

So.  I've taken myself off wallpaper duty, and fully invested myself in packing duty.  One of the things I hate most about moving is the packing.  And the unpacking.  I hate living out of boxes.  I unpack as soon as I get home from trips because it drives me nuts having clothes in a suitcase for longer than necessary.  The best part about this move is that there won't be anything to unpack our lives into.  Fun.

Our landlady is coming over tomorrow night to check out the place, so I've brought up all the boxes of her stuff that we stored in the cave, and have spent the afternoon washing the disgusting brown glass dishware that lives here.  (Was it ever possible to make food look appetizing on brown glass plates?  I can't look at them without being reminded of beer bottles, and I can't think of a less attractive colour for dishware).  I've also packed up all our dishes and pans, helpfully packing the baking dish I need to make tonight's dinner at the bottom of a box.  The worst part is that because we've been living in a land of boxes for a couple of months now, it doesn't even look like I've accomplished anything. 

Apologies for the grumpy post.  I'm so far down the box tunnel that I can't see the light at the end.  The internet is really slow in here too, which doesn't make things any more fun.  However, Erik tested out the new line at the apartment today, and the phone works, same number as before.  I don't think they're leaving the phone plugged in, but if you send an email, they could probably organize a phone call.

The latest news from the new apartment is that they've finally started drilling, and Erik got to use his new angle grinder finally.  I'll try to remember to send the camera with them tomorrow, although it's unlikely I'll be able to upload photos until we move. 

There you go.  The happy update in our moving adventure.
:)

1 comment:

nlm said...

I am guessing that the wallpaper was actually glued on -- it's pretty old. Modern wallpaper is pre-glued & much easier to remove. It is also perhaps easier to remove from drywall as opposed to plaster. Regardless, it is a nightmare -- my 1982 wallpaper was really good quality and when we tried to remove it took huge chunks off the drywall with it -- it was impossible to get the wall smooth again. Have fun!!