Sunday, October 04, 2009

More photos

The photo tour continues with some more realistic shots of our humble abode. The place is a mess, and I make no apologies. As soon as this post is finished, I'm going to dump the contents of the bedroom on the bed to make room for the assembly of our new wardrobe. Fun.

You know what else is fun? Spending seven hours at Ikea on a Saturday. Anja and I went out for what I thought would be a well organized quick pick up trip. Hah. We got there around 12:30, and by 6:00 we were just lining up for delivery. An unexpected problem at the cash had me picking up the pieces for our wardrobe by myself in the warehouse. The main pieces are about 50kgs and 230 cm long. I like to think I'm strong, but there was no way I could get those suckers onto the stupid rolling cart by myself. Anyway, I eventually got everything through the cash, and we got out of there a lot later and a lot more tired than we had expected. The kicker is that I didn't get everything we need, so we'll have to go back at least another time. Fun.


Let's start the tour in the 'living' area of the main room. Please note the original style of wallpaper removal.


The 'work' area of the main room. Howard has taken to calling it his 'studio'. Or more appropriately his 'atelier'. This is where the magic happens. It also seems like the freezer (on the left, in it's box) is being used as a workbench.


The entry way, leading into the kitchen.


I wonder if this is up to code??


My lovely kitchen. The only room that is almost completely unpacked, and with electricity. No light though.


Please note the counter that Howard made for us. The freezer will eventually go in the space next to the stove. I'm not sure why it hasn't been installed yet. I try not to ask too many questions.


The bedroom. The arrival of the armoire should help tame the many clothes monsters that we have developed. The cord hanging down the middle of the shot is for the temporary light hanging from the ceiling. Best to ignore that and just appreciate the view of the courtyard.


The bathroom with our temporary shower fixture and plastic sheeting coverred walls. Surprisingly I haven't seen this look in any of the decorating magazines I've been reading.


Howard's handywork removing the bidet and installing a drain and vent for our washing machine. The lead drain pipe was bent into shape with a hair dryer, and he bent the taps back by hand to allow the machine to sit more completely in the corner. You can also see the wire casings propped up in the corner. The goal this weekend is to get light into the toilet and bathroom. Cross your fingers!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Torie - you have an amazing sense of humour...and you never know how modern bathroom styles may change...perhaps a trend? Love K