Sunday, November 16, 2008

Happy France-iversary to Us!

Saturday marked our three year anniversary of living in France. I guess I should maybe be writing this in French, huh?

I can still remember how foreign everything seemed when we first arrived here three years ago. The novelty of buying fresh bread, buying wine for under five euros at the grocery store, and the minuscule elevator that we had in our first building. All things that seem so normal now that I literally have a hard time imagining life without bakeries on every street corner and good wine practically flowing out of the taps. And I actually did a double take when I got in a 'real' elevator at the Gap a while back.

Where we once had difficulty carrying on a conversation with a French person, we now we both speak French more than well enough to get by. Erik often cracks jokes in this crazy language, and has even spent the better part of the weekend reading the beshcerelle. I often find thoughts floating through my head in French, and there are certainly things that I find easier to communicate in French. Funny how our brains work. That being said, I also find myself throwing English words into the middle of sentences unknowingly, simply because they came up faster than the French version.

So far, we haven't done anything special to mark the occasion. I worked at the gym, and Erik spent the day preparing for some courses that he is teaching this week. Pretty exciting. We did go out salsa dancing last night, although it was for a friend's birthday. I'm happy to report that I still have all ten toenails, despite dancing with my lovely husband :).

Today we both worked again (perhaps not the glamorous life you were imagining for two foreigners in Paris) and napped for most of the afternoon. Very productive.

We have some more interesting things lined up for next weekend, I'll be sure to bring the camera and report back.

Dinner's ready, so I should go!
A bientot :)

No comments: