Saturday, April 17, 2010

Cake Bis

With a second birthday a couple of days ago, there was another reason for cake! I had told Erik that I really wanted a coconut cake for my birthday, like the one we had in San Francisco last year.

Not really expecting him to make me a cake in the middle of the week, I was slightly surprised when I got a phone call at the end of the day asking me what he should pick up from the grocery store to make cake. And so, at 9:00 on a Tuesday night, Erik started making me a cake.



The mis en place. The wine was an essential ingredient.

There were a couple of hiccups along the way--the lack of a second mixing bowl and cake pan was a pain, but not problems that were insurmountable.

And bright and early the next morning, on my birthday, I was treated to birthday cake for breakfast!




One tired chef


Happy Birthday to Me!!


Mmm....breakfast cake!

The sugar high turned into a grumbling stomach around 10am, reminding me why I don't eat breakfast cake on a regular basis. But it was very yummy, and we have been enjoying it every day since. Although we did finally put half of it in the freezer though, where it can hang out with the other half of Erik's birthday cake. We'll pull them out and have a cake party in a couple of months.

Other than cake, I had a very nice day. I threw myself a birthday party with my class at school, and we went out for drinks and dinner with our friends Julia and Thomas that night. It was a great start to another year.

Oh, and here's the recipe if you're interested!

1 comment:

Katie Dawn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
What a delicious looking cake!!

Love,
Katie