Friday, November 25, 2005

The Daily Grind

I realized that I hadn't written lately, and I know some people (Mom and Howard...) might check this fairly regularly, so I thought I'd treat you to a quick update.

Its been a quiet week. Erik has been working "Japanese salary-man" style, meaning he's out of the house as the sun rises (6:45!), and doesn't get home until about 7:30 (thats 19h30 for those of us trying to get used to the 24h clock:)). Quite a change from the schedule he kept in Toronto, and will definetly take some getting used to. The commute doesn't help either.

Anyway, this means I've been left to my own devices to poke around the city and get to know it better. I'm becoming a pro on the metro, and it really is quite convenient. I have to say after using it here, and the one in Tokyo, that anyone who comes to Toronto from a major city must laugh at our subway line. You really can't compare. We are within walking distance of three subway stops, on two different lines, and with a pass, there's no stopping me!

My mornings are usually spent writing cover letters and sending resumes. As much fun as it sounds, by around noon I'm ready for a change of scenery. So, depending on the contents of our fridge, its a quick meal here, or out to the boulangerie for a sandwich, or down to the corner for a crepe (I've had one every day now...I think I'm out of control. They're just so good!). Then I consult the trusty Lonely Planet subway map, and I'm off. Lots of wandering, I never bring a map with me, and all the subway stations have big maps outside. I haven't gotten hopelessly lost yet.

One day I went to Luxembourg Gardens, which is a huge expanse of nature in the middle of the downtown. Its pretty amazing. Complete with pond and kids sailing sailboats, five tennis courts, pony rides for kids, and paths around the perimeter for walking and running, and I know that I haven't seen it all. The grass is immaculate (but you can't walk on it!), and the there are well maintained flowers throughout. I even saw an interesting snow-plowesque machine that was being used to scoop up the leaves. Next time I will bring something to read, and just relax for an afternoon.

The other day I went window shopping, and ended up on Blvd Haussman with all the big department stores. The two that I happened to walk past (Le Printemps and Galleries Lafayette) had gone completely Christmas crazy. It was amazing! Not only do they have fantastic motorized window displays, complete with raised viewing areas for kids, but the overhang on the sidewalk is completely decorated in metallic shapes and decorations. This goes on for about three blocks for each store! I'm definetly going back, because I'm sure there are lights involved too, and I'll bring my camera this time.

Erik and I went back up to Sacre Coeur the other day to see it lit up at night, and I think its even prettier that way.


We've also discovered a square in our neighbourhood that is completely taken over with artists selling their work, and doing portraits for the tourists. I think I took a picture of that today, hold on...


Today I actually went inside Sacre Coeur. What a magical experience. There was actually a mass going on, but people were still wandering through. It was nice to stand and listen for a bit, and enjoy the vastness of the inside, with all the stained glass and domed ceilings.

Hmm...I feel like I'm forgetting something...but it's obviously slipped my mind. Last night we made the mistake of buying baguette sans sel (salt), which could easily translate into baguette sans taste. We won't be doing that again.

Well, I guess that's it. I hear there's been snow back home, and I have to say that I'm not too sorry to have missed it. I'm sure it will find its way over here, but until then, I get to keep pretending that it's fall.

Thanks Joan for the countdown email...you guys are the best at keeping track of dates. First the wedding, now until your visit. We're really looking forward to having everyone here.

Take care, and keep in touch.
Torie :)

No comments: