Monday, April 03, 2006

Thank God for Good Bread

I think I was starting to get used to the fact that good bread might not be as easy to come by as it was in our old neighbourhood. I decided it was probably a good thing, eating half a baguette at every meal is a 'window to weight gain' as they say on the Simpsons.

But alas, all good healthy eating regimes must come to an end, especially if you live in Paris. Erik and I discovered another little bakery on a residential street close to our house. I decided to check it out today, and give it the baguette test.

When you come out of a bakery having spent 6euros when you only wanted a baguette, either it is a good sign, or a sign that I have no will power.

In my case, probably a bit of both, maybe more of number two when it comes to bakeries....

Anyway, my visit go off to a nice start. The window was full of baskets of yummy looking bread, and the inside cases displayed even more varieties, plus some super tasty looking treats. Plus you could see into the back where they actually make and bake the bread. I like that.

So, I ordered my baguette. I was pleasantly surprised that is was less than 1euro (one of my beefs with the bakeries we've been to so far is that their decent baguette is half the size of a normal loaf and over a euro). Then because it's Erik's birthday I ordered a chocolate mousse. Then the impulse purchase, sitting right next to the cash was the ficelle au fromage (thin baguette filled with cheese).

Erik inhaled the mousse in about two minutes. It looked delicious. I inhaled the ficelle in about three minutes (well, I ate half of it on the walk home). It was fabulous. I also sampled the baguette, and it is just what I like: crunchy golden crust, chewy inside with lots of holes.

It's beginning to feel more like home (although we would never have eaten this much bread in Toronto! Although the bread really wasn't as good...)

I would tell you the name and the address, but I raced out of there to meet Erik and didn't look at the sign. Don't worry, I'll be back, and I'll get the name next time.

No comments: