Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Enlightenment Needed

So, the holiday on Thursday is Ascension (the things you learn at the grocery store...).

Erik has given me a bare bones explanation, but, as my religious knowldedge is extremely limited, I still have some more questions.

Here's what I know:
  • May 25 is the day Jesus 'ascends' to Heaven
  • That's about it.
Here are my questions:
  • Why May 25? Why is Easter always a Sunday, but Ascension is a specific day?
  • What the heck did Jesus do between Easter and Ascention (Erik and I had some pretty funny ideas, all of which I'm sure are wrong...)
  • Why have we never heard of this holiday before? It's obviously a Christian holiday, so why isn't it celebrated in Canada?
Any answers will be much appreciated!

*********

So, we've gotten some interesting responses to this post (OK, well just two. I'm a bit relieved that I'm not the only one who is completely in the dark when it comes to religion).

Anyway, here is what I've learned, from Howard and Mom.
  • I guess it's not always May 25th, but the 40th day after Easter. Makes a bit more sense.
  • Apparently it used to be celebrated in Canada, but churches have moved the celebration to the nearest Sunday (shame on them! Who doesn't like a day off?)
  • In between Easter and Ascension, Jesus visits his apostles and books passage to the south of France to set up house with his new family and leave clues for Da Vinci (thanks Howard for that one :) ). Erik and I figured he was probably at an internet cafe catching up on his email. That's what we would have done :)
There you go. I'm not sure how religious of a day it is here, as it seems like everyone has left the city to go on vacation.

No comments: