Sunday, May 07, 2006

Ho Hum

I know it's been awhile since I last posted, but now that things are settling down, and we're getting used to our new life here, I've found it difficult to find things to write about.

I do love writing this blog, and I had fun last week re-reading some of our earlier entries. It's interesting to see how much everything has changed since we first got here. I've forgotten how 'foreign' France seemed when we first arrived, and how overwhelmed I felt by the French language. Reading some of my early bread posts, I laugh now at how I thought there was no sliced sandwich bread here (a whole aisle in our Inno, appropriately called "Industrial Bread"). And my many posts about the lack of skim milk, and the soapy tasting fat-free yogurt. I have in fact found skim milk, and it only comes unrefrigerated, which has actually turned out to be quite convenient, as I can keep a box in the cupboard for those mornings when I've already poured out my cereal and soaked it with the last drop of milk in the fridge. As for yogurt, I have found some edible fat free ones, but am far more impressed with the full fat kind. And as for French, although neither of us are 100% fluent, it's definetly not as frustrating as it used to be. I'm more surprised when I hear people speaking English now, and hearing French all the time seems so normal that I'm often surprised when people don't speak English (not sure if that makes sense...)

Anyway, I now find myself thinking about things I will miss about Paris when we come back to Canada. On the list right now are the metro and train systems (I often wonder how we will ever survive without them). The food. The sense of community that people feel within their arrondisements. Saying hello to the owners of the two restaurants and the cafe on our corner (we've lived here for two months! We lived on Augusta for two years and never knew anyone aside from the owners of Sneaky Dees well enough to say hello!).

I guess this has been a long winded way of saying that nothing is new...the weather can't decide between sweltering hot and pretty darn cold, and I just wish it would make up it's mind! We have another long weekend right now, and we were planning to go to the Musee d'Orsay to see the Cezanne and Pisarro exhibit, but since it's 2:00 and we're still here, we might have to save that for next weekend.

That's it! Hope everyone is well. Send me postcards! :)

No comments: