Tuesday, December 13, 2005

PIN Problems, Part Deux

So, Erik and I were naive enough to think that we had triumphed over the French Beaurocracy that was giving us so much trouble. But alas, we spoke too soon.

Last week we each got a nifty package from our bank, Societe Generale, containing our cards (which are actually Visa Cheque cards, not credit cards at all--thanks for clearing that up Zoe!), and a letter providing us with a convenient PIN number so we would be able to access our bank account online, over the phone, or through an assortment of other means.

I did have a minor panic attack trying to find the PIN for my card, which arrived safely at Erik's office, and thankfully, it works just fine. It's the online PINs that we're having problems with now.

I learned from the phone scenario not to enter an incorrect PIN more than three times for fear of being locked out of everything you own, including your house. So, I patiently tried typing the 6 digit number into the website three times, squinting at the paper to make sure I got the numbers correct, before calmly giving up. Its a lot easier to stay calm about a faulty PIN when you haven't been locked out. I was slightly confused by the fact that the website seemed to be telling me that I should be entering an 8 digit number (which I definetly didn't have...it is probably that PUK that they want :)), but figured it was just my back luck with French PIN's and let Erik have a go with his.

Luckily, Erik's didn't work either (well, I mean luckily in the sense that it means that there isn't some kind of curse on me surrounding any sort of personal identification device). So, I'm sure this will involve more frustrated calls to a very incompetent bank before it gets sorted out. On a side note, the incompetent people at the bank have started blaming each other for the difficulties they had getting the account organized, and also the difficulties they seem to have doing minor things like using the phone, or opening the door. You'll have to ask Erik to tell you about those.

Anyway, on to more pleasant topics.

With the approaching arrival of our family, many people have been asking us what we want from home. Besides my cat, who I don't think would take too kindly to the plane, we are really just looking forward to seeing everyone.

After spending so much time getting rid of everything before we left Toronto, and then lugging what was left through airports and around Paris, I have a new appreciation for minimalism, and edible gifts. That, and the fact that Paris is fairly well equipped with most of the conveniences and luxuries that we're used to in Canada (with the exception of a decent shower, consistent central heating, and skim milk, but I don't think any of those travel well either. Oh, and good fat free yogurt. The stuff I've gotten here either had the texture of cottage cheese--which I don't care for, or tasted like chemicals. Hopefully no one remembers a previous post where I talk about delicious sandwiches slathered in butter, or an obsession with crepes, as those posts might make you wonder why I'm craving fat free dairy products. Who knows, its just what I'm used to. And I try to make a concerted effort to get enough calcium, and I just don't like the taste of regular milk. I have no reason not to eat the full fat yogurt, except that the last stuff I ate tasted so soapy, I probably won't eat any kind of yogurt any time soon. To continue on my rant of impractical food that I miss, cheddar cheese is up there too. Despite the laughs we got at a dinner with some of Zoe's French friends, you really need cheddar to make good macaroni. However, cheese is something that is done particularly well here, and I'm willing to take the time to find an adequate alternative).

Whew. Did I mention that we're really just looking forward to seeing everyone?

Its funny the things that you miss. The food is supposed to be so much better here, and sometimes all I want is a packaged cookie, or a bag of chips. Or a yogurt.

Ok. On to other things I was going to share. Oh, the elevator.

The subway station that is most convenient for me is the Abesses station. This station apparently has some amazing-ly designed iron work outside of it, which means that there are always tourists standing right at the top of the stairs posing for pictures. Or they have their maps out. Makes it difficult for regular people to get in and out of there.

This station also has a crazy spiral staircase (I think Erik counted 9 flights last time) to get down to the platform. It also has an elevator, but I take the stairs, as a rule. Its an easy calculation. More stairs taken = more crepes eaten. Anyway, today the elevator was waiting at the platform when my train arrived, and I was feeling a little sore from the exercise class I did on TV yesterday (my New Years resolution is to start exercising again. I love the walking that we do here, but its definetly been a couple of months now since I've broken a sweat. Not good) so I got on (the elevator, in case you didn't follow through the last bracket. I'm getting a bit carried away with them, I have to say).

This was the biggest elevator I have ever seen! I always wondered how it would work because there's always a huge crowd of people waiting for it, and I figured it would take a couple of trips before you made it to the front of the pack and got on. Not so, the thing is big enough to hold a car! And it has seats, in case you can't bear to stand the whole 2 minutes the ride takes. What an adventure. The stairs are still more fun, especially because there are murals from floor to ceiling all the way down. I've posted this picture before, but here it is again, in context. This isn't one of the nicest sections, but just to give you an idea...


Well, I think that's it for today. A bit of a rant, I suppose, but hopefully entertaining. Things are going well, its getting quite cold, but still no snow (thankfully!).

Good to hear from Liane, my friend who is reading the blog from Australia, where she lives.

Oh, we also have a mailing address, finally. It's not permanent, as we're hopefully moving in February, but email me if you'd like it.

Thats it.

Hope everyone is doing well, we think of you all the time.
Take care,
Torie :)

No comments: