Wednesday, December 14, 2005

We've got mail!

Yay! Our first Christmas card arrived this morning, from my aunt Debbie. Thanks Deb for the great card, and I'm glad you're enjoying the blog! I'd love to see pictures of the wreathes you're working on, and of everyone at Christmas.

Apparently the mail gets delivered right to our door, and this card was in fact slid underneath.

I also thought I'd share a link to another blog that Howard shared with me, after my food rant. It's nice to know I'm not the only one craving weird things. Joan, I think you should stock up on cranberries before your voyage. I know it just wouldn't be Christmas without those...

Erik and I also got an email from our friend Mathieu yesterday. He explained why we were getting confused about some of the words that we had learned in French, but are in fact English in France (to the point that they have no idea what we're saying when we use the French word). I will quote his email, because he sums it up quite nicely (hope you don't mind, Mathieu!): !
By the way, Quebeckers always make fun of the French for using so many
English words. Actually, many of the French words that you learnt in school (e.g. stationnement) were invented in Quebec to fight the evil English from Canada and the US in the bill 101 era. Other "anglicismes" that I liked:
1) Le parking
2) Le shopping
3) Le sponsorizing
4) Le McDrive
5) Le gazole

Thats it for now. We're having sushi for dinner tonight. We're quite proud of ourselves for holding out this long before having it, considering how often we ate it in Toronto. Japanese restaurants are quite popular here. There are at least two in our neighbourhood.

Also, two more important dates to celebrate. We have now been in Paris for four weeks, and yesterday (the 13th) was our five month wedding anniversary. Has it really only/already been five months?

No comments: