Saturday, December 10, 2005

Upper Class Eating

In case you didn't know, I really like food. A lot. Good thing we're in France, cause French people like it too. And they know how to do it well.

The other day I got out at a random subway stop to go for a walk (the Madeleine stop, for anyone who might be coming to Paris soon...not to worry family, its on our to-do list for you guys) and stumbled across the Fauchon store.

The website really doesn't do it justice. This specialty food store takes up about 4 store fronts on a corner of the street, and their windows are done up like a jewellery store. For New Years they're offering gold and silver plated eclairs, at the bargain price of 6euros each. Pre-order yours today! They also have displayed huge chocolate Christmas Ball cakes. A chocolate shell filled with cake and mousse and other goodness. If that isn't what you're looking for, they have balls of foie gras on a stick, dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts. My stomach is grumbling. And they have a whole separate store just for chocolates and candied fruit that looks so real I thought it was fake. Amazing!

On this same trip (I really didn't plan to hit food stores only, I swear!) I discovered the food market at the department store Galleries Lafayette. This place was like the Holt Renfrew of supermarkets. Gold coloured carts, and women wearing fur, strolling around the nicest grocery store I've ever seen. And selling only the best food, I'm sure! The produce was all amazing, no bruised apples or rotting bananas in sight! They had prepared food counters with a huge selection of Chinese dumplings, or 10 varieties of prepared couscous. Fresh fish and meat. A bakery section with a zillion kinds of breads, and another section with two zillion different desserts. It was a good thing that I ate before I left the house!

Despite seeing how the 'upper class' eat, I have to admit I'm just as happy with a warm baguette from the friendly neighbourhood baker, or a hot crepe from any of the street vendors.

Bon apetit!

No comments: