Sunday, February 19, 2006

Nutella


It all started with an innocent looking small sized jar of delicous Nutella at our local Champion. Well, that's a lie actually. It all started with the delicous fresh crepes that I so enjoy filled with Nutella. It soon became clear that shelling out 4euros for this delectable creation was not going to be a financially viable habit. It seemed like a much better idea to spend the 4euros on one jar of the stuff, and enjoy it in small quantities whenever I felt I needed a sweet hit of chocolate and hazelnuts.

Well, one jar soon became two, and then three jars, and I have now decided that it's time to start buying the bigger jar. I also discovered that pre-made crepes could be bought at the grocery store, and heated up in a frying pan with some butter, to create a perfectly acceptable alternative to the street vendor Nutella crepe (with bananas too, if we have them). The bonus of the homemade Nutella crepe is that you can always go back for seconds. Or thirds.

This weekend I have hit a new all time low. Having finished the package of pre-made crepes, I have decided that the crepe isn't really important, and that Nutella and bananas would taste just as good on toast. Having finished the bread, it was Nutella on bananas (even better!), which then led to just licking the stuff straight off the knife.

I can only justify it as some long repressed urge that was never satisfied in my peanut butter-free childhood (still can't stand the stuff!).

Unfortunately the jar is empty, and the Champion is closed (it is Sunday, after all). I'll have to wait until tomorrow to track down a Costco-sized jar of this delicious spread to get me through the rest of the week.

No comments: