Thursday, July 20, 2006

Feeling hot, hot, hot!

Lets just say it's a good thing Blogger wasn't working yesterday when I got home.

Because I was not a happy camper.

It has been HOT here in Paris all week. I don't like to complain, and it really hasn't been too bad (aka we still don't have a fan, although that's partly because the Inno no longer has ANY--and trust me, I was ready to pay good money for any kind of cooling device yesterday).

But sometimes, it's just ridiculous.

Like my train ride home.

The train I take in the afternoons is basically a slow moving sauna. Zero ventilation. Ridiculously hot temperatures. The metal armrests were too hot to touch. I sweated more on that 20 minute ride than I do in a 60 minute fitness class. I was sweating so much I had to stop texting Erik because my fingers were slipping off the keys, and I'm pretty sure my phone isn't waterproof. I even took a picture of my disgustingly sweaty face because I couldn't believe how hot it was.

But it's a bad picture, and I'm not nearly as grumpy as yesterday, so I won't post it.

And to top things off, super fast checkout guy at the Inno was being purposefully super slow. As in, wouldn't ring an item through until you had put it in your bag. Meticulously folded every article of clothing that the woman in front of me bought. Spent five minutes trying to get the security tag off an item with the checkout divider. And he thought this was hilarious.

Me, not so much.

Luckily for Erik, who bore the brunt of my heat-induced frustrations, our favorite cafe, the Time Machine, is air conditioned.

I think we'll be spending a lot of time there this summer.

(and I'd prefer this hot weather any day to snow)

Happy summer!

(and here's a link to a Paris food blog with some tips on how to survive in this crazy city this summer)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Torrie and Erik, just linked to your page from Jing's website. I wanted to see if she had posted any photos from Tony and Agnes's wedding yet (we did not attend, but I was curious to see how it was) and I saw a link to your site so I just thought I'd check out how you were doing. It's been super hot here all summer as well, luckily we got an air conditioner last summer, although just this weekend we had problems with it leaking back into our apartment so we have to reposition it and finally properly seal it into our window sill, the beach towels and duct tape just don't keep it stable enough in the sill.

I see the picture of nutella, not a favourite of mine. I like chocolate but for some reason hazelnut spread is just not quite the same. We get it free at Christmas time because Ferrero Rocher makes it and is one of Leighann's clients.

Anyways, just checking on the tail end of my lunch hour. Bon Soir.

Len