Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bad, Bad, Banking

After having been here for for almost two years, you'd think I'd be used to all the 'quirks' that France has to offer in terms of service. But I was reminded today of one particular quirk, that irritates me to no end, mostly because it just doesn't make any sense.

So, here's the background: Bank machines in France do not accept deposits. They operate on a 'lets give you cash' only basis.

I often have cash that I need to deposit, and have gotten used to the fact that I have to actually go into the bank, wait in line, fill out a complicated form, speak to someone, etc, etc, all to do something that I know I could do in five minutes at a machine in Canada, but its ok, because I can buy wine with my groceries here. So I go into my friendly neighbourhood Tour Montparnasse branch of Societe Generale, and wait in line with my previously filled out form and envelope of cash, and when I finally get to the teller he looks at me and says: "oh, if you have money to deposit, you have to go see another teller. I don't take cash."

Right.

You're a bank.

Only one of the four tellers working accepts cash.

Let me repeat.

You're a BANK.

Clearly, I was wrong in thinking that banks were establishments that TOOK your money for you. Not only does our bank not provide machines to take our money, they also have employees that don't take money.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what else could they possibly be doing?

Sigh. At least the Monoprix had a Champagne special on today. Otherwise it would have been a really rotten day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just wait until your credit card is stolen, there is a fraud warning put on both of you, and you try to apply for a line of credit and a mortgage at the same time, whilst one of you is not a permanantly employed ... think we have it all sorted, but I'm still waiting for the green light from the lawyer ... only 6.5 years of fraud warning to deal with ...