Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Snow Day!



It snowed last night, and I didn't even realize it. I noticed some white stuff on the scooters parked outside the metro station, but didn't really think much of it, until I was on the train headed out of the city. The farther we got from Paris, the deeper the snow got. It was beautiful! There must have been about 5centimetres of the light, fluffy stuff. First thing in the morning it was still piled on the trees and pristine in the school fields.

And the kids loved it. First of all, everyone was late because of the roads (I don't think they salt when it only snows once or twice a year). It was like no one had ever seen snow before. My kids couldn't wait to go for lunch because they just wanted to touch the stuff. One of my kids got all the way to the cafeteria before he realized he forgot his lunch in the classroom. He told me he was so excited to play in the snow that it slipped his mind. I had to laugh. Of course recess involved a huge snowball fight, with massive snowballs and some tears, but no one was really hurt. Honestly they were so fascinated with the stuff ("look at the puddle! It's frozen!!!, etc), it was like they'd never seen it before. Which was odd because most of them went skiing for their holidays two weeks ago.

It seemed like a typical Canadian day to me, maybe a bit warmer (it was probably only -3), so I felt quite at home. And I laughed when people complained that it was cold. It wasn't any colder than any other day this week, the only difference was the white stuff on the ground. But the sun came out in the afternoon, and it all melted, and now I'm back in the snow-free city.

It was nice, though. For a day.

(pictures are of Erik's walk up to school this morning)

No comments: