Monday, January 16, 2006

Creative Cooking

So, I was on my own for dinner tonight, Erik had to stay late so he could use some machine that he won't be able to use again for three weeks.

I've been wanting to make these risotto croquettes that I saw on a cooking show before we left Toronto for a long time, but there never seems to be enough risotto left, between dinner, then two lunches. But now that Erik buys his lunch, there was plenty left over for me to 'play' with. Now, you're probably asking yourself why I would want to change the delicious risotto that Erik made for us last night. It was fantastic, but don't most things taste better deep fried? (It's ok, I know the answer to that...)

Anyway, to make these suckers you take a spoonful of cold risotto, put a small piece of mozzarella in the centre, then roll it into a ball. The balls then get rolled in a breadcrumb and parmesan cheese mixture. Then I fried them. I had a small (ok, I'll be honest, large) oil spattering problem. There is oil on the floor and on all surfaces close by. I'm avoiding the clean up by writing this. Despite me standing two feet away from the stove, the little croquetts cooked up nice and golden brown.

They were quite delicious, crunchy on the outside, and creamy in the inside. My only complaint is that the cheese in the centre wasn't melty enough by the time I got around to eating them. I'll have to cook faster next time.

I did take a picture with my cell phone, and just installed all the software so that I should be able to upload the pictures, but of course, nothing is as easy as it seems (except for the croquettes!), and I have no idea how to work it. So you'll have to wait...

No comments: