Thursday, January 19, 2006

Oyster Plant

Update. Yup, I just posted two hours ago, but feel the need to update everyone. I was telling Erik about my school lunch today, and he jumped up in the middle of dinner to look up the word salsifi online (it's that need to consult the encyclopedia!). Probably something I should have done myself in the original post, but I'm really tired today, and am feeling a bit 'brain dead'.

So, I know all of you have been racking your brains trying to figure out what this veggie is, so I won't keep it from you any longer...

It's something known in English as 'oyster plant' (nope, still haven't heard of it). It got it's name apparently because it has a hint of oyster flavour (no, didn't taste the oyster, although I find it hard to identify an 'oyster' flavour; usually I just taste salt water and whatever toppings have been put on the thing). You can read the link for more detailed info...

On to other food related things: Our dinner tonight.

We had quite possibly the best pizza ever! (After our authentic pizza making experience, of course.) I always use the Canadian Living pizza dough recipe, usually from the cookbook, but the one online works too (I just skip the boiling water part in the online version. Use hot water. It works just as well). Since we've been here, I've also been adding about a teaspoon of herbes de provence to the flour mixture before adding the liquids. It adds a nice flavour to the crust. The toppings tonight were simple: bacon (left over from the parents visit. Don't worry, it's been in the freezer); tomato sauce; grated parmesan cheese (left over from the risotto); and mozzarella. The only mozzarella I could find at the grocery store here when I first made pizza was the round buffalo style. I wasn't sure what the result would be when we first tried it, but I don't think I will ever use anything else now. This is the best cheese to use on pizza, it gets really stringy, and has a nice mild taste. The parmesan cheese on top browned quite nicely, and it was the nicest looking pizza I've ever made. Again, pictures were taken, but are stuck on my phone. I've got some tasty looking welcome screens, though, whenever I open my phone :).

Alright. I think that's it for tonight. Erik is itching to use the internet, and I don't have much else to share. Pete arrives tomorrow, and is here for three weeks. We're looking forward to having him around.

Did I mention it was 11 degrees today?...

No comments: